Friday, September 18, 2009

A Wiggly One Year Old and Her Three New Shirts

Wiggly girls sure are hard subjects to photograph! The gloomy, rainy weather also makes the lighting bad. But anyways, I wanted to share the shirts I made for Raileigh yesterday. It's been a great time to stock up on solid color short sleeve tees to craft with. Everyone is putting out their long sleeve shirts, so all the short sleeve ones are going on clearance. Nice!

The first shirt I did is by far my favorite. I have a thing for owls. I bought this really cute owl fabric at Wal-Mart to make Raileigh a dress from. Well, the dress is WAY too small, but I had enough left over to make an applique shirt with (and, I bought some more yesterday to make a much bigger dress with). I used a coloring page to get the design for the owl. I tweaked it just a bit. I added some hand stitched details, and I wound up with this.



I was pretty darn excited about how cute it turned out, so I immediately started on shirt #2. It was much easier and not nearly as involved as the owl shirt. I think I'm going to go back and add some stitching around the edges just to make it more secure. I got the elephant outline from another coloring page and freehanded the heart.



Shirt #3 was a whole different technique. I did a reverse applique for this one. The entire idea, including the skull pattern, came from Little Blue Boo's Blog.



Well, needless to say, I am hooked on appliques. I have about a gazillion ideas swirling around in my head for more shirts. I have a few other things I need to finish up first, though.

In other news... Raileigh now has SEVEN teeth! The incisor hasn't cam in yet like I thought it would, but another tooth just popped through on the bottom. She is also done using her bottles! We put her milk in a sippy cup a few days ago, and she just sat and drank it all like it was no big deal! She's actually drinking more milk from a sippy cup than we could get her to drink form a bottle.

We also spent several hours yesterday hanging out with a good, old (as in long time, not age) friend, Ally. She took Raileigh to Toys-R-Us to pick out a present. She had gotten her this really cool ball pit, but someone else already gave her one. So, we came out with a pink wagon full of girly colored mega blocks and a big bag of more girly mega blocks. Darren and Raileigh had a lot of fun playing with them last night!

A few days ago, I told you about my new favorite blog, Little Blue Boo and the new pattern she was giving away. Well, I was one of the two lucky winners! She sent me the pattern for one of her new dresses, the paper doll dress. I bought some fabric to make one yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be able to sew that up in the next few days.

That's all I've got for now. Vacation is quickly approaching (starts in one week!), so I am looking very forward to a week with my favorite people :)

1 comment:

  1. I love how the Owl's head looks fluffed out a little. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Lil Blue Boo?
 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.