Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My baby girl is sick :(

Today, we had to take Raileigh to her first sick doctor's appointment :(

Looing back, I know now that she was sick last night. She was clingy and didn't want to do anything but sit in my lap. I put her to bed with me because Darren was at a concert and wouldn't be home until late, and I'm funny about being alone in the dark... I woke up about an hour after going to bed and Raileigh was burning up. I thought it was because I had covers on us, so I pulled them off of her. Darren got home about 3am (the concert was in Douglasville, on the other side of ATL), she woke up and she was still warm. It being 3am and I being very groggy, just went on back to sleep. Darren rocked her back to sleep in her room and the at some point they both came back to our bed.

Around 6am, she woke up unhappy, which is not normal for her- she normally wakes up smiling and laughing and starts playing instantly. Darren picked her up and went to look for her pacifier, which he'd left in the rocking chair earlier. He went to put it in her mouth and she did this cough/ choke thing, which I heard from our room. I called out to see if she was okay, about the time I heard splat, and I knew what that was.

She was still hot and we took her temperature- 101.8 :( Poor baby! We got out the motrin and gave her some and I do what all new mommies who have never had a sick baby before do- call their mommy. About 30 minutes after giving her the motrin, we took her temperature again and it was down to like 98 degrees. We let her sleep as long as she wanted since the fever had went down and she woke up around 9am. She was her happy, perky self. So, we thought maybe it had been a little bug and it had passed...

Wrong! I started feeding her lunch a little after noon. She acted like she'd never ate before and I felt like I couldn't fill her up. Then, it all came right back up. I felt her and she felt feverish again. We went to give her a bath to clean her all up and noticed these little red dots around her shoulders/ neck/ chest area. I really started to get worried then. I asked my mom to come have a look at her and Becky came with her. By this point, Raileigh just didn't look like she felt good.

So, off to the doctor we went. I didn't like going in the sick side (our doctor's office is divided, which I've always loved at well check-ups). It wasn't too long before Dr. Lameda (an amazing pediatrician) discovered the tiny blisters on the back of Raileigh's throat :( They're caused by a virus, which I can't recall the name of and couldn't spell even if I could. It's the same virus that causes Hand, Mouth, Feet (not sure if that's the right order of body parts), but Raileigh only has it in her mouth. The doctor said this virus has been going around. We just have to watch her, keep with the motrin or tylenol every 6 hours and make sure her fever doesn't go any higher. She said it normally lasts about 3 days. She was surprised Raileigh's still been eating well because of the painful blisters. She said liquidy only foods for the next few days, so we stocked up on yogurt and applesauce. I'm going to make her some Jell-O in the morning.

My baby is sleeping now. I hope she can get a good night's sleep, because I know that will help her so much. It's just so hard to see your baby hurting and not be able to do very much to help her :(

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this, Desi. Praying for your little one. ~MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Coxsackie virus:
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html

    All of mine had it as babies at some point.

    Poor little thing!! And poor mommy-- it's so hard when they are little and can't tell you what's wrong!

    The Wolf Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to have a sick baby...my thoughts are with you, my friend :-/

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Lil Blue Boo?
 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.