I was especially looking forward to today's visit- no shots!! This was only our 2nd visit to Dr. Lameda. We had Raileigh's 4 month check-up before we moved from South Carolina. We took her to Doctor Lameda for the first time at 6 months. I really like Raileigh's doctor. Dr. Lameda spends a lot of time interacting with her and playing with her to examine her. I love it because it's not just poke here and prod there. I feel like she is really trying to get to know a little about every child.
Anyhow, she weighs 20 lbs 12 oz, which is actually less than I expected. That's in the 75th percentile. She was 28.5 inches long, which is in the 85th percentile. She said it looks like Raileigh will be tall like her daddy :) They did have to prick her heel to test her iron levels, but she didn't flinch or cry at all! I was really proud of her.
Some big highlights from today included that we are going to stop giving Raileigh baby food!! I am very excited about this. Right now, she eats 6 jars of stage 2 food per day (around 24 ounces), plus her bottles (she drinks 20- 24 ounces of milk a day as well). I've even began to think lately that 6 jars might not be enough. She will not eat stage 3 foods. I don't think she likes the chunks mixed in with the puree. She also has always hated rice cereal and oatmeal. Lately, I've been giving her table food when we eat. She's had (and liked) chicken, grapefruit, green beans, macaroni and cheese, roasted potatoes, corn, pickles, applesauce, strawberries, and some other stuff. So, after we finish off the baby food we have (which should last us through the weekend), no more glass jars of purees for us!!
Another big thing we talked about was weaning her off of formula. We'll be starting this at 11 months. Each week, we'll replace 1/4 of her formula with cow's milk. At 12 months, she'll be done with formula! We're also going to be starting her on an infant multi-vitamin. As she continues to eat less formula and more food, we just need to make sure she has all the vitamins and nutrients she needs.
At the doctor, she does a lot of little activities to test fine motor skills. Raileigh's are very advanced using her left hand and right on track with her right. I'd thought Raileigh had been showing tendency towards her left hand. The doctor told us she is too young to tell if she will be right or left handed, but it's looking as if she's favoring her left. Darren's dad is left handed, so it is in her genes... I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
After the doctor, we took Raileigh to our favorite little park, Grayson City Park, to play. She loves the baby swings! Today, there was another baby there who was 6 months old and Raileigh loved watching her as they swung beside each other. We also played on the see-saw (she and I were on one side, Darren on the other) and crawled around in the grass. It was SO hot, so we didn't stay too long, but it was fun.
These are some pictures from today. The top few are on our deck this morning and the others are from the park.












No comments:
Post a Comment